Friday, June 12, 2009

Movie Love

Remember when you were younger and you'd see in movies how the boy and girl would accidentally bump into each other in their high school hallway, books spilling everywhere, and as they bend to pick up the mess of homework assignments their hands touch and BAM! they're in love? Remember how you wished that could happen to you?

OK...maybe it was just me.

But I wanted it. Growing up I've always said that I never believed in love. That I knew life was not a fairy tale and that relationships were rough and full of rocky roads. But deep down inside....I still hoped. I hoped for movie love.

The more I think about movie love however, the more I understand that it truly is an illusion. Just like the movie in which the love story develops, movie love will end. Those fireworks will stop exploding, the butterflies will disappear, the kisses will have less spark, and your significant others eyes will lose that sparkle you once saw so bright.
So now what?

*True love. True love is what I want. The kind of love where you choose to be there. You choose to sacrifice who you are and what you want because you want so much for the other person to be happy. The kind where you can cry and laugh together and no matter what, you know they're in it for the long haul, because you are too. The kind that can bring more happiness and joy that movie love could ever bring. I want that love. And I believe in it.


Jeff Koons 'Hanging Heart'


*Based on thoughts from "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. Amazing. Read it. Now.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Oh man, I love this post. I have been the same way my whole life about movie love. ...Then real life hit me up side the head and I learned real fast (not a super enjoyable experience if I remember right). But I can tell you this: butterflies do go away but they're replaced with something SO much better. Butterflies are your own reactions to the unknown in the relationship. You have no idea what's gonna happen so you just get so excited that your stomach starts doing somersaults. When you really begin to love someone those butterflies are replaced by what Jake and I call "Elvyra." Y'know those old looney tunes cartoons? Remember the red head girl that loved animals so much that she'd squeeze them until the poor little animal was finally able to wriggle out of her arms? Her name was Elvyra. Jake and I experience this often. When you're with someone and you're just having so much fun and you feel so safe around the person and safe in the relationship that your emotions get the best of you and you just wanna squeeze 'em! That's "Elvyra." Also, you still experience fireworks :) Of course, they are not as frequent but that's what makes them so special. Blah blah blah. Can anyone say, "Gag me?" yet? Phew. I swear I'm done with my "love" rant. But true love is a billion times better than movie love. Especially when you watch a movie and go, "Oh hey, we've done that," or "Pshh, we do cooler things than that." :)

Erin, out

Jules AF said...

I wanted that to happen too. Sad.

ChrisJCole said...

B,

I agree love should be about Choosing to be with that particular person. In the words of a Beetles' song "If I feel in love with you would you promise to be true and help me?...I've been in love before and know it's something more then just holding hands.

Love doesn't come right away...I wish it did...especially for you. It's people like you who want love that seem to get it the least. It sucks and I feel for you.

C

Define Benjamin & Heather said...

haha.

Kristina P. said...

Yeah, I also feel this way about movie sex. They make it look so effortless.