Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Different strokes for different folks

Growing up my parents taught us not to focus on material aspects.

"Experiences are more important things," my Mom used to say.

I agree with this sentiment. But that doesn't mean money isn't important.

I'll be completely honest and tell you that when I'm dating someone, their future plan with regards to finances is something I care about. I don't need a big fancy car or a massive house on the hill. I don't need to buy designer clothes or fine jewelry. I do very much want a few things though....

1. I want to be able to give my future children the opportunity to find their passion. I love dancing so much. More than I could ever express. But there was always a part of me that knew it was really expensive and I felt like a burden to my parents on many occasions because of it. I would be lying if I said my decision to stop competing had nothing to do with the monetary aspect.

2. I want to be able to take my family on vacations. Although my parents didn't have a lot, somehow my Mom made it a point to travel with us. Those are some of my most sacred memories.

3. I want to help people. I would love to start a non-profit foundation that raises money for women suffering from depression and anxiety. It would put funds toward drug research and therapy for those who can not afford it.

I believe in traditional values. I want a husband who will provide for my family. Of course I plan on having finishing my education and furthering my career. I know this is something that differs for each individual. But for me? I want to feel some kind of security.

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

My husband will never make a lot of money. BUT, he's the hardest working person I know and a strong work ethic is more important to me than earnings. I sometimes do wish he made a ton of money so I could quit my job, though! :)

Define Benjamin & Heather said...

ha, i agree bailey. security is very important. But when the time comes i hope that isn't the only thing that will get the way of me marrying someone, because I most likely will anyway. I wouldnt mind if they didnt have a lot money but I would mind how hard a worker they were. I would analyze them to see if they are the kind of people that just talk about their dreams and goals or if they actually do them. A few guys that I know always talk about it but they dont do anything that will lead them to that goal... so it makes me wonder are they ambitious and going to succeed in whatever they do. If he will be a trucker or Doctor... Just a thought.

Bailey said...

yeah, I think work ethic has a lot to do with it. I don't want to feel like I'm the only person in the relationship that has ambitions and wants to meet goals. I hope it wouldn't stop me from marrying someone I loved. In fact, I'm 98% sure it wouldn't...when I finally feel love it will be worth the sacrifice!