Monday, May 18, 2009

Stop flirting!

I've discovered my comfort zone is slightly different than most.

Saturday night I went to a bon fire with some friends and I had to stop myself from reverting to old habits: finding a cute boy and sparking conversation. This is what I've always done and being that I want to take a break from dating, I had to find a way to enjoy the night without batting my eyelashes. Funny right? I mean, I guess I've just built this little wall around me and will only open the gates to potential dating prospects. You'd think it would be the opposite.

It does make sense though. I've really never had great friendships with females. I tend to get along with guys better. I think part of it is sometimes I feel so intimidated by other women. Is that weird? I guess I just assume they wont like me and will be judgemental...which I guess is a judgment in itself. Hmm.

So this week my plan is to branch out and working on developing my friendships. I think at the very least in the long run this will be beneficial to me mentally and emotionally.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh man! I totally agree! Very rarely do I meet a girl who's intentions to have my friendship stay genuine. Either she likes the guy I'm dating, wants to borrow my clothes (which is okay unless that's the only reason why she's my friend - surprisingly this HAS happened), or she thinks I'm her "patsy" who makes her feel better about herself by somehow making me feel bad about myself...etc (whoa, word salad. Hope that made sense). Mean Girls is probably the best and most accurate movie known to man!

P.S. I find it kind of ironic that the word verification to post this comment is "tramp." Hmm...

Define Benjamin & Heather said...

haha, this is so true. I consider some of my best friends to be girls but then when it comes to revealing something personal it is so much easier talking with a guy. and when it comes down to actually 'talking' about important things it is almost always with a guy. I dont think I do this on purpose. it just sort of happens. but at the same time im really slow to trusting guys-at least this is what I feel like. haha. anyway, you are to darn cute, we need to hang out more. we should go for a run or something. your super fine and hawt, but I wanna start being more healthy. we can go hike the Y or something. let me know when you free. <3

Kristina P. said...

I think that it's scary to be friends with girls sometime because girls can be very catty and judgemental. But I value my friendships with my girlfriends so much!

Katrina said...

I know what you mean about being friends with guys! I have some great female friends, but I've always gotten along better with guys than girls... I have that whole fear of being judged by them, too. Good luck with developing more friendships! :)