Friday, May 29, 2009

Double the c, double the s, then you've learned to spell Success

I've been thinking about writing this post all day. Initially I wanted to write about trust and honesty: two vital components of making a relationship survive. Not only survive, but successful as well.

Then I wondered...what is the definition of a "successful relationship"?

In a previous post I said that I no longer believed the relationships in my life that have ended were failures. But are they successes?

Ive decided this: any relationship where you learn something that in some way can help you better yourself equals a successful relationship.

It is a far reaching statement when you think about relationships ending in divorce or even relationships that involved abuse. But when you walked away...when you decided to take whatever path you chose...did you leave knowing that you were going to be a better person? When it wasn't your decision to end that chapter of your life did you look back and keep bitter feelings inside wishing things could be different or did you think about what you could do differently to not make the same mistakes?

I do believe that the end of relationships requires a grieving process. But then you pick up the pieces, and decide to make that previous relationship a "successful" one.

3 comments:

Define Benjamin & Heather said...

i like the way you looked at that.

Katrina said...

I love this post! Your attitude is awesome. It was exactly what I needed to read right now, too.

Last night I talked to an ex and I realized that I still care about him and I hope he's doing well with his life even though our lives aren't "together" anymore and I have a new boyfriend who I adore. I realized that I learned so much from Nick and our relationship, but I didn't let myself grieve the loss and I was trying to avoid the fact that I still cared about him. I think looking at all relationships, even the ones that ended, as successes, is a very mature stance. :) And even caring for exes and not just "hating" them because they're exes is a good thing, too. Sometimes I feel like we share brainwaves, I swear...

Alanna said...

Baily...I loved this post. It really reminded me of the type of things Carrie writes on Sex and the City-maybe you should make a book just like her...with your writings about love and relationships!