Thursday, May 21, 2009

Take it back!

One of the hardest things about falling in love is fearing the unknown. You never really KNOW how things are going to work out.

When I go to Nordstrom and find the perfect little black dress and come home to realize that it does in no way conceal that spare tire, I can take it back...because I have a receipt. When I pay for love, through time, devotion, loyalty, etc. I don't get a receipt and I can never take it back. This is a risk we all have to take every time we open a door to the possibilities of falling in love.

Being the overly analytical person that I am, with a dash of loving to be in control, I have to think about all aspects before I make a decision. I tend to not be very spontaneous and I love to know every step of my plan. Even when it comes to making plans with friends, I NEED to know what day, exactly what time, exactly with who, and exactly where. Otherwise I am less than inclined to participate.

So maybe thats what it really boils down to. I've had experiences in the past where I've opened up and fallen completely in love only to realize in the end that as much as I wish I could take it back, I can't. I'm just too afraid of the lack of return policy.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Wow, we really are incredibly similar, Bailey! I'm very much the control freak, perfectionist type. I try not to let myself get too emotionally involved until I feel like my heart's safe. I've gotten a LOT better over time, but I still have a tendency to be overly-cautious. To be honest, though, the more I let go and just go with the flow, the more I find that I enjoy my life. I think it just takes opening yourself up. And, yeah, sometimes you still get hurt, but I think it's worth it to live every day to the fullest instead of waiting around for something you feel totally comfortable with. :) Trust your gut and your heart!

Kristina P. said...

It's so true! Love is scary. I sort of freaked out after we got engaged, because I realized we were really at a point of no return, in regards to majorly hurt feelings, if we broke up. Fortunately, we are happily married!